Virginia has experienced a decrease in both violent and property crimes in 2013. The report was based on the annual statewide crime report released by the Virginia State Police. However, although violent crime, vehicle theft, and property crime has declined, the homicide rate remains the same as last year’s.
The demand for police officers in Virginia is still high. This is especially true now since drug offenses showed an increase of 3.8 per cent, for the fourth year and fraud offenses also increased by 7.6 per cent.
Virginia Law Enforcement Certification Standards
As in every state in the Union, Virginia has certain rules of admission that you must follow. You must satisfy these police academy requirements in Virginia if you want to qualify for training.
- Must be at least 21 years old on date of hire
- Must be a high school graduate or have an equivalency of GED (college and/or related experience preferred)
- Must be a United States citizen on date of testing
- Must be of good moral character and reputation as established by a background investigation
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record
- Must be willing to relocate anywhere based on department needs
- Must successfully pass all pre-employment testing
Physical Fitness Standards
You must also satisfy the preliminary physical fitness test standards of the state of Virginia. The physical requirement includes:
- 20/20 binocular vision, corrected or uncorrected, and if uncorrected visual acuity is 20/100 or better binocular and 20/200 or better in worse eye.
- Must meet minimum requirements for color vision test with or without corrected lenses.
- Must be capable of hearing normal frequencies of 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000 hertz at a pure tone level of 25 decibels or less and no greater than 45 decibels at 4000 and 6000 hertz when checked by the Audiometer test
- Must have weight that is proportionate to height
Work Performance Testing
The Virginia State Police Recruitment Staff will administer the Work Performance Test to all applicants. In this test, you will be required to run a 150-yard course. This will determine your cardiovascular fitness in the completion of various job related physical skills.
You will be required to successfully complete ten (10) obstacles in succession with a pass/fail time limit of 1 minute and 36 seconds. You must complete all events in the specified sequence or you will fail the course. If you fail, you are allowed to take the test one additional time.
Virginia Beach Police Department
The starting pay for a police officer recruit in Virginia Beach Police Department is $35,554. This is slightly higher than other police departments in the state therefore this police department is a good place to put your focus on.
But aside from the state requirements, you must meet the following basic qualifications if you are to be considered for the position:
- Eligible for Virginia or North Carolina driver’s license
- No experience required
- Successful completion of written exam
- Successful completion of a polygraph test and thorough background investigation
This police department accepts online application from candidates on an ongoing basis. Monthly testing is conducted in Virginia Beach, VA. You can take the test one full year prior to your employment. You can get more details at http://www.theblueline.com/feature/VAvirginiabeach1.html.
Norfolk Police Department
Norfolk Police Department also has an attractive salary package for starting police officer. You can get $30,391 as starting salary. At present, there are about 767 sworn officers in this PD.
But aside from the state qualifications, you must meet their requirements before you are considered. These requirements include:
- Must be 20 years and six months when the classes at the academy begins
- Must have military service (if a veteran) and must show proof of an honorable discharge
- Must have a valid motor vehicle operator’s license and the ability to qualify for a Virginia Division of Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. Your right to drive a vehicle should not be under suspension
If you want more details, you can visit http://www.theblueline.com/feature/VAnorfolk.html.
Chesapeake Police Department
You may also consider joining the police force of the Chesapeake Police Department. The salary that you’ll be getting while attending the academy is now $37,494. But you must satisfy the following basic requirements apart from the state qualifications:
- Must have no felony convictions, or any convictions involving acts of domestic violence, dishonesty or immorality
- Must pass a physical fitness test
For more details, you can visit http://www.cityofchesapeake.net
Richmond Police Department
Another police force that gives their officers a good salary package is Richmond Police Department. Your starting salary if accepted in their ranks is $32,695. They have 650 sworn officers at present. Aside from the state qualifications, their basic requirements for acceptance in their ranks are the following:
- No DUI convictions in the past 5 years
- Must pass a written and physical agility test
- Must pass a thorough background check, including a polygraph test, psychological test, medical test, and drug screening
- Must have no felony convictions or domestic assault convictions
For more information, you can visit http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/police/PoliceRecruit.aspx.
Newport News Police Department
If you will be accepted in this department, you will get an annual salary of around $37,000. But aside from the state requirements, you must first satisfy their basic qualifications which are the following:
- Military service (including Reserves or National Guard) must present a DD-214 in addition to copies of performance evaluation for 3 years. Must be honorably discharged.
- Must have no felony convictions or any Class I or Class II criminal misdemeanors.
- No drug convictions for the past 15 years
- No tattoos, brands or other body art on the head, face, neck or scalp.
You must also be physical fit on the day of your physical fitness exams. Even if you pass all your written exams and all your psychological exams, you cannot be accepted if you fail their fitness tests. There’s a website that will show you how to prepare for the police academy in this regard. You need to visit www.PrepareForThePoliceAcademy.com if you want to pass all the agility, and physical fitness tests that they will give you.