If you are thinking of joining the State police, passing the New York State Trooper exam will be necessary. Needless to say the test isn’t easy, and the number of people who fail the test is ridiculously high. But if you take the right steps and prepare, your chances of passing will be high.
The first step is to know what the qualifications are. They are as follows:
- The applicant must be at least 20 years old and not more than 30 years old upon the deadline of application. The only exception is if you have engaged in active military service, whereby the maximum age limit is extendable up to 6 years.
- You must be a US citizen.
The qualifications for the time of appointment are as follows:
- At the time of appointment you must be between 21 to 36 years old, but if you have been in active military duty the maximum age is extended by up to 6 years.
- Applicants must be a resident of New York with a valid New York driver’s license.
- Must pass the PAT (Physical Ability Test) consisting of push-ups, sit ups and a run covering one and a half miles.
- Willing and able to work in different shifts including holidays.
- The vision has to be at least 20/100 for both eyes and must be corrected to 20/20 via surgery, contact lenses or glasses. Color blindness is a ground for disqualification.
- The NY State Trooper examrequires candidates to have, at all times, a clean appearance.
The educational requirements are the following:
- You must have a senior high school graduate certificate, a New York State High School diploma, high school equivalency diploma that is convertible to a NYS high school diploma or a military GED certificate.
- You must also have at least 60 college credit hours completed in an accredited university or college. However, 30 college credits will be accepted if the applicant got an Honorable Discharge from the US military or finished a Certified Police Officer Training Course approved by the NYS Municipal Police Training council.
Tattoos, body piercings and other kinds of body art must not be visible when you are in uniform or wearing any other type of formal or business attire. During the examination process, you will be screened for tattoos and other body art. If you have a tattoo or other body art symbol that is not consistent with NY State Police values, you can have it removed.
The easiest way to prepare for the New York State Police exam is to use a study guide like http://passthepoliceexam.com/, as it provides several test preparation materials in connection with the exam. It is also a good idea to get in touch with the New York recruitment officer for the latest recruitment details.
- You can also go to https://www.troopers.ny.gov/FAQS/Trooper_Recruitment/ and get answers to frequently asked questions about the examination.
- http://www.nytrooper.com/ is the official website of the New York State Police Recruitment Center and a good resource for future announcements concerning the exam.
- Another online study guide is http://www.civilservicesuccess.com/NYS%20TROOPER%20COURSE%20INFO%202013.htm which provides four study courses based on the real NY State Trooper exam.
The more tests you take, the greater your chances of passing the examination. Apart from the training however, you must get familiar with the selection process.
The Exam Selection Process
The selection process for becoming a State Trooper is designed to assess your skills and if you have what it takes to be successful in the NYSP Academy. If you completed and passed the entrance exam you’ll be part of the selection process which consists of the following. Note that you have to pass each test before you can move on to the other.
- Written examination
- Physical performance test
- Psychological assessment
- Background and polygraph test
- Medical exam
- During the process, drug screening will be conducted at different periods.
The physical ability test (PAT) is usually held on Saturdays on the Candidate Processing Weekend. The purpose of the test is to determine your ability to meet the demands of the job. The selection process for the PAT is determined by your rank which is set according to the score you get during the written exam.
If you pass the exams you’ll be appointed as a NYS Trooper. The approval however, hinges on your successful passing of the other examinations such as medical, psychological and so on. The psychological test consists of two parts, a written exam and a psychological interview, also done during the same weekend.
To ensure that you are fit for the force, the State Trooper exam will subject all candidates to a background check. During the process of verification, applicants must provide access to their employment, financial and educational records. In addition, your associates, neighbors and family members will be interviewed to determine your character.
You will also be subjected to a polygraph test, and if you pass the test along with the background verification, you will be eligible. Failure to pass these tests will result in disqualification.
A month prior to the Academy class appointment, a medical exam will be conducted at the New York State Police Academy at Albany. During this procedure, you will be asked to submit your mental health record. The appointed physician will assess your general condition, visual acuity, and height and weight proportions.
During the examination your dental condition, hearing and your ability to perform the tasks required for the position will be assessed. Failure to meet the fitness standards will result in disqualification.
If you are going to participate in the NY State Trooper test, bear in mind that processing of candidates takes place at the New York State Police Academy in Albany, NY during a scheduled weekend.